TorrentFreak has released their list of 2011‘s most downloaded films and the heist movie Fast Five is at the top. Nice example you’re setting there, car robber bros. The list also features a few surprises. Whereas you think it would be rounded out by more big, dumb films like Transformers: Dark of the Moon or Twilight, the list is actually populated by films that did little box office.
The Hangover II and Thor rounded out the top three with Source Code, I Am Number Four, and Sucker Punch close behind. The theory is that those films are popular amongst tech-savvy males while the thought of downloading makes a girl’s head hurt.
Overall, downloads are down significantly from last year. Fast Five was downloaded 9.3 million times, but last year’s top spot belonged to Avatar with a download tally of 16.6 million. It can be argued that these numbers fell because of Hollywood’s war on piracy, or that films were just suckier than usual this year. It’s also possible that TorrentFreak fudged the numbers to get the heat of Hollywood and the anti-piracy bill they’re trying to push through off their backs. It’s what Dom and Brian would do.
1. “Fast Five“(Universal): 9.3 million
2. “The Hangover Part II“ (Warner Bros. / Legendary): 8.8 million
3. “Thor“ (Marvel/Paramount): 8.3 million
4. “Source Code“ (Summit / Vendome): 7.9 million
5. “I Am Number Four” (DreamWorks / Disney): 7.7 million
6. “Sucker Punch“ (Warner Bros. / Legendary): 7.2 million
7. “127 Hours“ (Fox Searchlight): 6.9 million
8. “Rango“ (Paramount): 6.5 million
9. “The King’s Speech“ (Weinstein Co.): 6.3 million
10. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2″ (Warner Bros.): 6 million