Looking for fun space adventures movies? The best space adventures movies feature a gang of heroes, a quest and, of course, plenty of thrilling special effects. From the classics such as “Star Wars” to the less well known, you’ll be sure to have a blast watching these space adventures movies.
- “Serenity.” Although the television series “Firefly” had a devoted following, it was soon canceled. Creator and director Joss Whedon gave fans a bit more with the space adventure movie “Serenity,” set 500 years in the future. A gang of rebels, led by Mal, hides a young girl on their ship, vowing to protect her from the dangers of space. Little do they know that the girl herself may present the greatest danger.
- “Apollo 13.” Based on the true life story of the Apollo 13 mission, this 1995 space adventure movie is engrossing, despite the fact that it lacks the usual special effects and fantasy. The fact that it’s a true story makes it a gripping, engrossing tale.
- “Moon.” Directed by David Bowie’s son, and oddly reminiscent of the song “Space Oddity,” the film “Moon” tells the story of Sam Bell, an astronaut about to complete a three-year stint on the moon, only to find out that his life and world aren’t what he’s been led to believe.
- “Star Wars.” No list of space adventures movies would be complete without the “Star Wars” franchise, a series of six movies, though most fans would prefer only to think of “Star Wars,” “The Return of the Jedi” and “The Empire Strikes Back,” which were released 25 years before the first three films in the series.
- “Star Trek” (2009). The popular “Star Trek” franchise got another reboot in 2009, with a movie from J.J. Abrams. The 2009 “Star Trek” film is set before the beginning of the original television series, and serves as an origin story. The movie pleased long-time fans and won the franchise some new ones.