10 Greatest Action Movies Of All Time
The 10 greatest action movies of all time are films that every man should see at least once. These movies feature iconic action heroes like Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Harrison Ford. Get ready for explosions and excitement; these movies might even make your testosterone levels rise.
- “Die Hard” Bruce Willis kicks constant butt in this film that many consider to be the greatest action movie of all time. Willis plays a New York cop who visits his wife in L.A. for the holidays and ends up battling terrorists instead of celebrating Christmas. He embarks on a nonstop rampage to free the hostages and finish off the bad guys.
- “Lethal Weapon” You can’t mention “Die Hard” without also paying tribute to this great action movie. The buddy film pairs Mel Gibson and Danny Glover together as cops who must work together to solve a drug smuggling ring in L.A.
- “The Matrix” The first installment of this movie franchise provided one of the greatest action movies of all time. The Wachowski Brothers created new slow motion effects called “bullet time” for many of the film’s most famous action shots. The movie has constant explosions, gunfights, martial arts, and a smart premise.
- “Gladiator” Men are thrown together into a ring to fight to the death. It may sound like a UFC match, but this greatest action movie is set in ancient Rome. Russell Crowe plays the fighting hero who battles men and even tigers to ultimately face a villain played by Joaquin Phoenix.
- “Kill Bill” Uma Thurman plays an angry assassin who is out on a “roaring rampage of revenge.” The film is one of the best action movies of all time due to the many extensive hand-to-hand combat scenes. The most memorable is Thurman’s samurai sword face-off against a whole squad of bodyguards in Japan.
- “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” James Cameron directed this greatest action movie, which was even more suspenseful and creative than the original film. Arnold Schwarzenegger is back as a good machine in this sequel and must protect John Connor from a shape-shifting new model of cyborg.
- “Aliens” In this great action movie, James Cameron scores again with a sequel. Sigourney Weaver takes charge in a futuristic setting and faces an entire planet full of the saliva-dripping, carnivorous aliens. The movie offers constant suspense and terror.
- “Star Wars” One of the greatest action fantasy movies of all time, the “Star Wars” trilogy features starship chases, light saber duels, and martial arts-like training for the movie’s hero, Luke Skywalker. The film constantly moves from one amazing setting and adventure to the next.
- “The Lord of the Rings” This movie trilogy is an epic undertaking and one of the greatest of action movies. The fantastical story calls for heavy special effects and some of the greatest battle sequences, involving armies of ghosts, giant trees and of course, elves, dwarves, and hobbits.
- “Raiders of the Lost Ark” Harrison Ford makes it on this list twice for “Star Wars” and “Raiders.” Ford play Indiana Jones, a professor and archeologist on a search for the Ark of the Covenant. Along the way, he dodges snake pits, boulders, Nazis and angry ex-girlfriends.