10 Great Sports Movies
For film lovers who have that team spirit, the top 10 great sports movies are a must-see. Sports films feature great baseball, basketball, soccer, and football highlights and some have become classics in Hollywood. Here is a list of ten great sports movies that you will enjoy.
- "The Longest Yard" (1974). This sports movie is about a prison football team. After an ex-football star ends up in prison, he begins coaching what will be the greatest prisoner team to play against the guards that the institution has ever seen.
- "Hoosiers" (1986). This sports movie is the true story of an underdog high school basketball team that became great champions. After an unpopular coach transforms into a leader, he inspires his team all the way to the state championships.
- "Above The Rim" (1994). This sports movie features late rapper Tupac Shakur in a lead role. The story follows a talented high school basketball player whose torn between his coach's great advice and a local street gangster, as he waits for news about a possible Georgetown University scholarship.
- "Sunset Park" (1996). This sports movie follows a female high school teacher who takes on the job of boys basketball coach. After winning the confidence of her clumsy team, she loses their respect when they find out she will leave after just one season.
- "He Got Game" (1998). This sports movie is about a convict who is let out of prison to do the warden a favor in return for freedom. The convict, who accidentally killed his wife in a family fight, must convince his star basketball playing son to go to the warden's alma mater.
- "Remember The Titans" (2000). This great sports movie was based on actual events. After a high school football team is forced to integrate, its first black coach is determined to bring the team together as winners.
- "Love & Basketball" (2000). This is a sports/romance movie. It is the story of childhood friends who share the same passion for basketball and grow-up to fall in love with each other, yet struggle to keep their relationship strong because of the game.
- "Coach Carter" (2005). This is a great sports movie that is based on a true story. The story follows a coach who teaches his individual players the importance of education and respect before he can turn them into a winning team.
- "Gridiron Gang" (2006). This sports movie is based on the true story of a detention camp football team. A probation officer puts together a football team as a way to teach the inmates self respect and social responsibility.
- "The Longshots" (2008). This sports film was based on a true story. The plot follows a down-on-his-luck former high school football star who coaches his eleven year old niece to become the first girl ever to play on the school team.